Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunscreens

2 posters

Go down

Sunscreens Empty Sunscreens

Post by geoff Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:43 am

Hi again to all in our growing little family!

Unfortunately I can't add my two cents worth - the minimum is five down here in Australia!

On a serious note, I just thought I'd pass on a few details about sunscreens.

I've used zink-based sunscreens since cycling (and retiring!) - and they're not all thick and white anymore - and I've never had a problem. When I get the chance, I'd like to look into the subject of sunscreens further.

I spoke at a World Lupus Month seminar last year and was proceeded by a Dermo who raised issues with products that claim they are '1,000,000' (SPF) and he also raised the issue of sunscreen ingredients.

* The term 'broad spectrum' apparently refers to both UVA and UVB rays being blocked.

* SPF (Sun Protection Factor) only measures UVB protection.

To check if UVA is being blocked, read the ingredient panel and see if ingredients such as Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide and Parsol 1789 are included.

As many would know, I don't like to offer any medical advice because I don't pretend to know a great deal about medical issues, but I'm happy to relay what I've been told.

Sorry girls, I'm not big on make-up, but it might be worth checking what's in it, if it's promoted as a sunscreen as well.

Best wishes to all,
Geoff
http://thewideworldoflupus.blogspot.com/
geoff
geoff

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Sunscreens Empty Re: Sunscreens

Post by christines555 Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:25 am

Hi Geoff,

Thanks, that's interesting about the UVA rays. (I don't mind hearing you talk about it-lol). I use facial cream that contains SPF which alot of beauty products have now a days and I will be checking for the zinc oxide. Do you know if it should be all three ingredients or mainly the zinc oxide?

I'm just curious, where was the World Lupus Month seminar held and who usually attends? sunny
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi Chris - lol - ditto!

Honestly, I'm not sure if it should include all three ingredients, but when I get the chance I'll try and look into it. Myself, I'm not familiar with the other two - Titanium dioxide and Parsol 1789.

As certain packaged foods can withhold certain things and promote 'goodness' of a product, I was just concerned people might treat SPF numbers as the only thing that matters.

Last year's seminars were held thoughout my state here in Australia, New South Wales, and in our version of D.C., Canberra. I spoke for the need of a national organisation - and naturally I was the last to relate my story. When you have to follow doctors, scientists and politicians, it can be a little nervy - as we say!

October is World Lupus Month down here, but it didn't really get a mention. I understand there was some confusion as most in America thought it was May to coincide with World Lupus Day - which isn't a bad idea.

Regards,
Geoff as always.
geoff
geoff

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down