Neck pain, headaches & inflammation

Go down

Neck pain, headaches & inflammation

Post by AbsolutelyFab on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 am

I read somewhere that the only part of your spine that can have rheumatoid inflammation is your cervical spine.

More and more often, I wake up in the middle of the night or early in the morning with horrible pain in my neck and the back of my skull. If I don't get rid of it it turns into horrible headaches, migraines & facial pain. Instead of trying to eliminate the headache I woke up with this morning with aspirin, I tried ibuprofin. It worked!! Therefore, I am guessing this pain is inflammation related.

I am thinking that when I have used my heating pad, it is just aggravating the inflammation and maybe I need to be using ice.

Does anyone else suffer from the same? How do you deal with it?

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Neck pain, headaches & inflammation

Post by yardman417 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 am

Beth

My Ra that effects me in the back area is the same as your saying, from the base of the skull thru the #6 cervical disk. When this all started years ago my drs and i tried every thing. Finely started takeing shots in that area and it helped for some time then they quit working also.
Also disk were starting to deteriorate, so i had the option of surgery and lose the use of my neck or take what they call facet shots. I have had a set of six at a time in the past two yrs and they have helped. But i'm here to tell you these type shots HURT like HELL, but for me it was worth it and to not have surgey.

Hopefully you will get the inflammation slowed down and not have to go thru all of that.

Anyway wish you the best
flower yardman
Ray
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:30 am

Hi Beth and Ray,

I too have the same thing and it seems to affect my right shoulder also, I just use a liniment on it and do some stretching exercises and that helps as well as painkillers. Funny it has been acting up a bit over the last few weeks, which makes me thinks more so that I am having a flare Sad I see my Rheumy on Friday so it will be interesting to see what he says!

Beth,

Please bear in mind that you do have Raynaud's when you use the ice, I know for me I can't touch it.

Ray,

I too have had the facet joint injection and I said then NEVER AGAIN it hurt like hell! affraid

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile http://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello Everyone,

I too get pain in this same area. I had a doctor a few years ago that would actually try to realign the vertibra (sp) and then he would give me an injection in the area at the base of my skull, you know the area where some of us get a hump. It was such a relief when he did it, but it would only last for a few weeks and it was back. Unfortunately, my doc quit practice and is now the administrator over one of our hospitals. I haven't found anyone else I trust enough to do that because it's so dangerous, if they slip while injecting you, your paralized.

I have not found anything else that really helps to that degree. When it gets really, really bad I will try an ice bag, but as Maz says we have to be really careful with that because of our Raynauds. I will normally use a timer when I use an ice pack to ensure I do not over do it.

Beth, I hope you find some kind of relief soon. And if you find something that really works wonders, share it with the rest of us Very Happy .

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks for all the support everyone!

I have been trying to figure out why my "migraines" weren't going away when I have Imitrex injections that usually work,and if caught early enough, my headaches will be relieved by aspirin and a little caffeine. Weird thing is, I was never woken up in the middle of the night with migraines....this pain wakes me up in the night.

Now that I know these particular head/neck aches are due to inflammation, I can go from there as far as relief. I did have trigger point injections in the back of my skull many, many years ago for the headaches I first started getting, but the procedure freaked my out a bit and, like Melissa, it only worked for a few weeks.

Thanks again everyone! What would I do without you? Shocked

Hugs,
Beth Very Happy
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Hey Beth, I get the same thing. I just take pain killers when they get really bad. I will say when they are really bad, heat seems to help mine, like you mentioned the heating pad. I even noticed that when I went to the beauty salon once and they put me under the dryer for a while, it helped so much I didn't want to leave. From what I was reading here, maybe heat is not a good thing, but it sure helped when I was hurting a lot. But for the most part, I just take a pain killer.

Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down