Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gamma globulin injections

4 posters

Go down

Gamma globulin injections Empty Gamma globulin injections

Post by socalmonica Wed May 20, 2009 3:17 am

Has anyone ever had injections for low gamma globulin? If so, what can I expect?

Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Gamma globulin injections Empty Re: Gamma globulin injections

Post by maidmaz Wed May 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi Monica,

I haven't had injections for low Gamma Globulin, does this mean you are anemiac(sp)?

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Thu May 21, 2009 12:41 am

Hi Maz, no means my gamma globulin is low. This is all new to me but I guess it is a protein in our blood that helps fight off infection. Mine is too low so I am very susceptible to infection right now. So, I have to get these injections to boost it. It is done intraveiniously. Doc said it was like a blood transfusion, but yet it was different at the same time, whatever that means. I was very confused plus he has an accent so hard to understand him sometimes. This doesn't take much these days to confuse me! HA HA! So that's why I was wondering if anyone has done it. I just wonder if it's painful. I'm hoping it's no big deal. Just like getting a little shot or something. I can handle that.

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu May 21, 2009 1:37 am

Hi,

I took a look at www.mayoclinic.com and I'm wondering if this is what they are talking about doing.

"Immunoglobulin therapy. Also called gamma globulin therapy, this treatment can be a lifesaver for people who have an antibody deficiency. Immunoglobulin consists of antibody proteins needed for the immune system to fight infections. It's extracted from blood obtained from a large pool of healthy donors and then purified. Originally this medication was given as a shot into the muscle. New, more effective formulations can be either injected into a vein through an IV line, or inserted underneath the skin (subcutaneous infusion). Treatment with intravenous gamma globulin is needed every few weeks to maintain sufficient levels of immunoglobulins. Subcutaneous infusion is needed once or twice a week."

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Beth, that's what I am finding too after doing some research and now that I read it I remember the doc saying all of this. I did see where the infusion therapy takes 2-4 hours.

So this should be interesting....

I am actually leaving on a plane Saturday, probably not the smartest thing to do when you have no immune system to fight infection but I am not missing this family wedding I am going to. Will be back on June 1st so I guess I'll figure all this out when I get back.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for checking this out Beth.

MOnica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, I went to the immunologist this week and he is running a bunch more tests. Did confirm that my gamma globulin is extremely low. wants to rule out a few things before we look at the immunoglobulin therapy. I will keep you all posted. I am leaving for Texas next week and apparently the blood work he is running takes a couple of weeks to get the results back anyway so it will be a bit before I get back to you but thought I would update you all so far. Talk to you soon!

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 am

Keep us posted and have fun inTexas Smile
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks! I had all my blood work done and it is all whacked of course. I have to have a pneumonia shot and see if that changes the gamma globulin numbers. So I go in THursday for the shot and it will take 3 weeks to see if it affects it. Then we'll know from there. Not a quick thing. He wanted me to get the shot here in Texas but I really didn't want to do that in case I had a reaction or something. I'll keep ya posted!!

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down