Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone have anemia, too?

4 posters

Go down

Does anyone have anemia, too? Empty Does anyone have anemia, too?

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Do any of you suffer from anemia? I know that it isn't uncommon for people with autoimmune issues to have anemia. What I want to know is what type of anemia do you have? Did it come on suddenly or kind of creep up on you? Was it a result of the chronic illness? Vitamin deficiency, lack of sun? A result of your meds?

I have been looking at my detailed lab results and have found that my MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) has been consistently at the higher end of the normal range and at times higher than normal. I have researched this and found out that if it is high it oftentimes is due to Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. This is where your immune system is killing off your red blood cells before they have a chance to do you any good.

A high MCHC can also indicate a Vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency, but I got my highest test way before I started taking Methotrexate and have taken Folic Acid as long as I've been taking the MTX.

There is another disease that higher elevations show (spherocytosis) but this is hereditary and very rare.

Am interested in any comments & speculation.

Hugs, Very Happy
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have anemia, too? Empty Re: Does anyone have anemia, too?

Post by Poppy Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 am

Hi Beth:

I did have acute anemia when I was first diagnosed and it came on very suddenly. In fact, 3 weeks before I got really sick - I had a complete blood work done and I was great in all areas. So, It can happen within a week sometimes - that's what the doc said. I, actually, had to see a hemotologist when I got out of the hospital (when diagnosed) - because my red blood count was so critical. The good news was - after I was diagnosed it only took about a month to get back in the normal range. The hemotologist told us that Lupus was the cause.

I, too, take MTX and folic acid. I haven't had any more problems since that time.

Good luck in finding some answers. I love you
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:55 am

I too am anemic. My count is very low, whichi is why i freeze if its below 80 degrees. Mine too, is caused by the Lupus . My doc just watches it, I tend to tire very easy, and if I over due it, i have fever and chills at nite. Its something i have just come to deal with. I never complain about the hot!!!! Just something else to add to the list.

Melody297

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 pm

I need to ask about my iron count too because I am ALWAYS cold. My husband gets so irritated with me because he is always hot. I also have bruises on my legs at all times and the doc said it is from the lupus but I also know that is a sign of anemia. I wonder if this is all related. I need to ask him. I actually just had some blood work done last week and have an appt next week so good time to ask.

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks, everyone!

I am leaving for Rochester to go back to the Mayo Clinic to see the rheumy there. WOO HOO! My appt is tomorrow morning. I will make sure I ask him about it.

Wish me luck!

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am

Good Luck Beth!!!

Melody I love you

Melody297

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Well, when I went back to my previous lab work, my RBC is consistently low, which explains exactly why I am always cold and the bruising. See, I am so thankful for this forum. I learn more from you guys than I do from the doctor sometimes! LOL!!!

Beth, can't wait to hear what the Rheumy has to say!!

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Well, went to the doc this morning and got my lab results back. I am anemic and he is a bit concerned because my counts are much lower than normal. He is testing me again in a month. He says it could be from the lupus or from the meds, doesn't know at this point. So, we'll see next month where I am.

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 pm

This is one of the biggest plusses of sites like this.....even though we may all have brain fog and all of our doctor's individually have different diagnosis and explanations, when we put all of our brain cells together we actually tend to move in the right direction! Very Happy

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:01 am

I totally agree Beth!!!

Melody I love you

Melody297

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum