Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bad cold/flu

+2
Poppy
socalmonica
6 posters

Go down

bad cold/flu Empty bad cold/flu

Post by socalmonica Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:50 pm

Okay, I seem to have gotten my son's bad cold/flu. I haven't yet been able to get flu shot becuase they are not out yet here in Cali. but this is my 3rd day. Typically I just ride these out. Since I am on so many more drugs than I have ever been on, the mtx being the one I'm most concerned about, should I go see a PCP? This is my 5th day with it and it is getting worse. The first two days weren't too bad. Sore throat, congestion. But now it keeps me up at night and I have had chills, should I just ride it out like I always have? is there any difference being on the meds? I hate to sit in a doc office if he is going to tell me that it's just a virus and it has to ride it's course but I also don't want to be stupid if it can turn into something worse due to the lupus. The congestion is in my nose and goes lower like I need an expectorant. I blew my nose this morning and blew green, doesn't that mean I need an anti-biotic? Or is that when it's brown? For the most part, it's clear. I know, gross. Sorry. Smile Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

bad cold/flu Empty Re: bad cold/flu

Post by Poppy Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi Monica:

I'm sorry you are sick with a cold/flu - it just makes you feel miserable. I have not had anything yet - since my dx with SLE (knock wood) but I think I would call your rheumy and see what he has to say. Usually, there is not much they can do for them - but I think I would let them know.

I sure hope you start feeling better! It will be good to hear what the others have to say about this.

Feel better!!! I love you
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:20 pm

thanks poppy!! Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Monica,

I am sorry you are not feeling well.My opinion...since you did ask.....!!!!!!.......is to call your pcp!!!I say it is always better to let your doctor know what's going on, especially when you have lupus.And also being on methotrexate I feel it's better to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes.I would call him/her today and just let him/her know about your cold/flu symptoms.I hope this helped you some and that you take my advice!!!I hope you get to feeling better soon my friend.Take care and keep us posted. cheers
Warmly, Barbara I love you

californiacat

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 pm

Well, funny thing is, I do not have a PCP. I know that sounds weird, but since I have a PPO, I just went straight to the rheumy and I really have no other reason to go to the doc. I have been thinking of going to my husbands PCP, but just haven't had a need to. I think I will call today and tell them what's going on and see what they say. I know my husband really likes the doc so think I will tell them about my situation and see if he wants to see me or not. Thanks for the advice barbara. I'll keep you posted.

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 pm

Monica

This may not help, but my pcp always tells me if i think i am comeing down with anything to call or come see him. I know you said you don't have a pcp, but trying to see your hubbys pcp might be a good idea. I hope you get some relief or answers some how.

flower from the yardman
Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Monica,

Definitely good advice from everyone. It's good to have a PCP just for situations like this. I hope you get over this cold/flu soon. pale

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:15 pm

thanks to all. I did call my hubby's pcp and they got me right in this morning and put me on an antibiotic just to avoid it getting any worse than it already is. They did tell me the same thing you all did. anytime I start to get sick, come in because when we're on these drugs that knock down our immune systems, we have to come in right away, otherwise it either takes twice as long to go away or it can turn into something really nasty. So, I feel better now that I went in. Thanks for all your advice!! Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:25 am

Hi Monica,

I'm sorry you have this cold/flu, I was going to say you need to go to the Dr but since you have already been I don't need to Very Happy ! I had a chest infection that went on and on and on earlier in the year it needed 4 lots of antibiotics to get rid of, so it is important to go straight to the Dr if you have signs of a cold/flu, unfortunately being on immunosuppressants gives us zero chance of fighting the infections off on our own. No

I hope you start to feel better soon.
Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 am

Hi Monica,

I'm so glad you did go to the doctor and got started on a treatment.It is always best to get seen asap when sick so you can hopefully stop it from getting worse.I would recommend that you do get a regular pcp as this is an example why it's important to have one!!!I hope you start getting some relief soon my friend.Take care. Warmly, Barbara flower

californiacat

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by kking Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:22 am

Monica,
I am so glad that you asked this question! That is something I would of spent days wondering about. Should I go see the dr. or not??? I've always felt like I was wimping out when Id give in and go see the doctor - especially for a cold, but not anymore! The last time my illness was kinda similar to yours, and it totally kicked my butt! I waited for days, then finally went in.... I missed almost a week of work for something that started out as a little cold. and even then it lingered for 2 mos.
I also want to say I appreciate the folks in here that have been struggling with this dognabit disease longer than I.... it's your words of wisdom that help guide us newbies. Thank you so much!
kking
kking

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum