Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It

+5
yardman417
maidmaz
kking
californiacat
socalmonica
9 posters

Go down

Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It Empty Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:37 am

I've been getting the flu shot for the last couple years now but since being diagnosed can you still get it or is it better not to get it? Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It Empty Re: Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It

Post by socalmonica Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 am

I've heard that you should get it, especially now but I think you should ask your doc. I get it and have been advised to get it. Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It Empty Re: Flu Shot - To Get It or Not To Get It

Post by californiacat Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 am

Hey there Chris,

I ALWAYS get a flu shot and I HIGHLY reccomend you get one too as you always do.Much better to be safe than sorry..........so DO get one my friend!!!!
Warmly, Barbara What a Face

californiacat

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by kking Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:47 am

I will get the flu shot for the 1st time, this year. Resaon being is I had the flu the last season and thought I should of been hospitalized. I was that sick, I struggled for weeks. I definately don't want to go through that again.
kking
kking

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks everbody!! Since having an autoimmune disease, I just didn't know if it was a good thing for us or not. I thought, but I am not sure, that they inject a live virus so that's why I was concerned. I'll definitely ask my doctor for it. sunny

Last edited by christines555 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To include our "Ray" of sunshine in the thank you!!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 am

Hi again Chris,

It was a good question....but I would think that your doctor would definately want you to have a flu shot because w/ sle if we get the flu, it would be much worse for us than for healthy people.I have been getting them the entire time(23 years) that I have had sle.I never have had any reactions from the shot and also never get the flu!!!!So I say it's a win/win situation!!!
Warmly, Barbara cheers

californiacat

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

Chris, I will be interested to see what your Dr says because I was told that I can't have one while on immunosuppressants! That was by my old GP and I haven't checked with my new one, I have also never asked my Rheumy about it because I keep forgetting to Embarassed ! So it will be interesting to see what your Dr says!Although it is too late for this years, but I will check into it more for next year!

Thanks for bringing this up I may never have known that it is possible to get a flu shot otherwise confused

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello
I never had taken the flu shot untill i was dx in 2000 then my pcd and my rhem both told me i needed to take it. Have had no problems it.
flower Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi All,

I generally get a flu shot , my rhuemy highly recommends it. That said, I was not on methotrexate last year, so I don't know if that will come into play or not. Has anyone gotten a flu shot while on methotrexate?

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:41 am

Hello Melissa
I started methx this past yr and took the flu shot and it did not bother me , but i would check with your dx first.

flower Take care Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:35 pm

this was an interesting read I found on the lupus 'ask the experts' site. It addressed the flu shot in it and some other issues as well. Hopefully it comes up, if not, try to cut and paste.

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?articleid=2008&zoneid=76

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:41 pm

I called my rheumy regarding this and as I am only on Plaquenil which deals with the inflammation, she recommeded I get it as I always have. I would definitely check with your rheumy first as I thing it depends on whether or not you are taking an immunosuppressant medication.

Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:11 am

Monica

This link was very good info!

Thank you and take care

flower flower from the yardman

Smile Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:18 am

Hi All,

I saw my rheumy today and all I said was "flu shot" and he "yes" before I asked the whole question. He definitely thinks I should get it. I'm on prednisone and plaquenil right now. Thanks for all your responses!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks Chris,

Since it is too late for me this year I will certainly ask my Drs about it for next year and see what they say! confused

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks Chis for bringing this topic up. I will be asking my doc the 1st week of Oct. Also, I have been advised to get a pneumonia shot by my PCP. I will be checking on that, as well.
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:28 am

Hi Poppy,

Oooohhhh, I'm glad you mentioned about the pneumonia shot!! I forgot to ask my rheumy about that on Friday. I think I had one last year but I can't remember now. But I'll be getting the flu shot from my PCP and will find out when I see him around the end of October about the pneumonia shot too. Thanks and let us know what your rheumy says. Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by findingflowers Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm always told to get the flu shot from my Rheumy. I also got the pneumonia shot last year.
findingflowers
findingflowers

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Hmm, I didn't even know there was a pnemonia shot, thanks for the info... Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi.....I believe the pneumonia shot is only given every 3-5 years......I am not sure, but I know it is not given EVERY year.Ask your doctor but I am certain about the frequency. What a Face

californiacat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:13 am

Hi All,

Barbara, you're right, the pneumonia shot is given every 5 years. We just talked about it today when I took my Mom to her PCP for her check-up. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi Everyone:

I saw my rheumy today and got my flu shot - he agreed that a pneumonia shot would be good,too, but he didn't have that available - so, I'll be getting that from my PCP or the grocery store lol! . Our grocery stores here offer them during flu season- Shocked
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Poppy

Glad to hear your getting your shots, its always better to be safe than sorry.
I am getting mine in two weeks, i am still in good shape on my pneumonia shot Smile

flower from the yardman
Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 am

Ohhh Poppy,

That is funny lol! It's a great idea but what next confused

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum