Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Methotrexate; a immunosuppresive

+3
AbsolutelyFab
yardman417
californiacat
7 posters

Go down

Methotrexate; a immunosuppresive Empty Methotrexate; a immunosuppresive

Post by californiacat Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:48 am

Methotrexate is a immunosuppresive chemotherapy often prescribed for RA and Sle.It helps with inflammation and can be taken in pill form or given by injections.I was prescribed it in January and took the pill form until July, when I switched to the injections.I did have MUCH nausea for the first few months and my doctor said the injections bypass the gastro/stomach and cause less nausea and also works better by injections.I was scared at first as the thought of giving myself injections really freaked me out!!!! affraid But once I did it the first time, it was a breeze.Then though my doctor took me off of it, thinking it wasn't really helping much.But after 4 weeks without it, my inflammation got much worse; especially in my hands and fingers.So I am now back on it for the past 2 weeks.I really do think it helps and like my doctor said, sometimes you don't know if a medication is working or not until you stop it!!!So I am actually glad to be back on it.I do get my labs checked, especially for my liver functions and so far...all is ok.
Warmly, Barbara I love you

californiacat

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Methotrexate; a immunosuppresive Empty Re: Methotrexate; a immunosuppresive

Post by yardman417 Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Barbara
I to was on methx for some time then my rhem decided to take me off of it.Well after two mths i was hurting more so he started me back on it and it is helping, i take the pill form 25mg.
flower Take care Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Since the increase of my Plaquenil from 200 to 400mg only temporarily helped, and I am now having increased joint pain and some swelling, especially in my hands, I believe my rheumy is going to switch from Plaquenil to methx. I'm a bit frightened due to the side-effects and I've also heard the immunosuprressants referred to as the "more toxic meds". Help! I'm not sure I want to be on this type of med. This whole autoimmune thing just keeps getting scarier affraid , and I'm pretty hard to scare! Shocked

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Beth
I have been on Meho for quite some time and it has really helped me, and yes i to was scare as hell about takeing it at first.
i was on in for a while and then the dr thought i could get off from it and it wasn't but a few mths that we decided that wasn't such a good ideal Sad When i went back on it i had some problems with bein sick for a cople of days aterwards but he gave me a med to take 30min before the metho and i am fine with it now. I was thinking about goin to the injection med if we hadn't found a solution when we did.

I know we all react diff to the same meds, but its alway up to you and your dr. I am a little puzzeled about him takein you off the plaquenil. I have been on 400 mg for 9 yrs and have never stoped it. But again we are all diff.

Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks, Ray. I'm not sure if she will take me off the Plaquenil or add another med to the whole mix. She did call in a script for 10mg of Prednisone daily. Up to this point I only took Pred in 7-10 day bursts, as needed.

I have my appt with rheumy tomorrow, so I'll fill you in when I have more information.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by christines555 Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi Beth,

I just started the methotrexate two weeks ago. So far I haven't had any major problems (slight nausea) with the two doses I've taken. I know I will also be staying on 400mgs of plaquenil as well. I'm also taking 10mgs of prednisone and will start tapering down again in two weeks. I hope all goes well with your appointment.
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks, Chris! That makes me feel better. I just got back from my rheumy appt and she is keeping me on the 400mg of Plaquenil, plus she added 10mg of Methotrexate per week and 1 mg Folic Acid per day.

I have not technically been diagnosed with Lupus, but with UCTD (undifferentiated connective tissue disease). My doc said that with the changes I have been experiencing, it is definitely differentiating itself into Lupus and not RA. I was pretty much prepared for that but my husband is really freaked out!

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Oh yea, I forgot....I will continue on 10mg of Prednisone until the MTX starts to work.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi Beth:

I, too, am on methotrexate. I have been on it since last May- I don't seem to have any side effects either (just being tired on the day I take it sometimes). I have been on 15 mg per week now for awhile and do think it is helping. Don't forget, it takes a while to kick-in - perhaps a month or two.

Good luck to you - I was terrified to start it but now I am glad to be on it.
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 am

Hi Beth, I am on mtx as well but in addition to the 400mg of plaquenil. I have had some side effects on the mtx. I am on the injections, not the pills. I started taking the one shot a week with leucovorin the day after. I was really nauseas the day after with a really bad headache and fatiqued so the doc broke the injection into 2 injections a week hoping to ease the side effects. It helped, but I still got the headaches, so now I am on smaller doses, 3 injections a week. But now I don't get the headaches anymore. So it is helping, but I am on 3 shots a week. YUCK! Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, but thought I'd share my experience. Smile Good luck with it and hope it helps you.

Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Sun May 03, 2009 10:06 pm

So far, so good! I took 1/2 of my MTX yesterday morning & the other 1/2 at about 6:00pm. No stomach upset, but today I am a little dizzy and have very little energy. I did make myself take a walk with my husband and the dogs since I want to be ready for the Walk for Lupus. The fresh air was great, but now I am wiped out!! Going to go relax a bit now. Very Happy

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 pm

hey Beth,
i too take metho along with plaquinel........ I have learned to drink plenty of water on the day that i take the metho.. to help flush the kidneys so the med will not stay in the kidneys long. I tend to have easy urniary infections. I had an awful one the first week i took it. After reading, or maybe evening reading it here, that drinking lots of water the day you take it. It flushes it out of your system.
I take mine all at one time in the morning. But you take it the way it works for you the best.

take care
Mel

Melody297

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

It appears that the mtx is working!! For about the last week I have felt better than I have felt in a long, long time!! I have much more energy and very little joint pain. I hope things continue on this way! I've been taking it for about 6 weeks now.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Thats great Beth!! Its nice to feel GOOD for a change!!

Melody

Melody297

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 pm

YEA thats GREAT, but enjoy the feelin and don't OVERDO IT Smile

flower Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Great news Beth!! So happy to hear that! Continue to feel good.

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 pm

I have been taking the MTX for 2 1/2 months now. I have noticed improvement in my joint pain and fatigue, although for the last week or so I have noted increased nausea and stomach issues. Is it possible the side effects get worse the longer you are taking it? So far the side effects are worth dealing with in exchange for the relief I have been getting. Or maybe it is just due to taking so many meds each day now.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, they can change. Just keep a log or journal and let your doc know what's going on. I had some changes with mine as well in fact I even had my mouth start itching and feeling weird for about an hour after my shot. That is when the doc changed my dosage. Not the amount but broke it up for me. Also, if you aren't taking leucovorin or folic acid, you may want to ask your doctor for a prescription for leucovorin. you don't need a prescription for folic acid, just the leucovin and leucovin actually has folic acid in it and both help with the side effects of mtx. Not sure what else it has in it and what the difference is. From what I have read, some docs recommend just the folic acid and others prescibe the leucovorin. Glad the benefits are still outweighing the side effects. Hopefully that will still remain the case.

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by christines555 Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:11 am

Hi Girls!!

I started Mtx in April at 10mgs. Beginning of June, I was still having joint pain so it was increased to 15mgs. I also was having continuing nausea throughout so my rheumy gave me a script for Prochlorperazine 10mgs 3x a day. (It is an anti-psychotic drug (HELLO??? affraid ) and used also for nausea. I tried it a couple times and still felt nauseous and sometimes worse. I also take a bunch of other meds so who knows what is making me feel nauseous. Anyway, I see my rheumy next week and I think he will switch me to the injections so it can bypass my stomach.

I also have noticed improvement in joint pain but it is the nausea that is driving me crazy now. I did split the dosage. So I'll be happy to switch to the injections if it stops the nausea. If not, then it is onto the next drug - ugh!! I love you
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:22 am

Good luck Chris, hope the injections are better for you. I never did do the pills because I had heard the injections were less nauseating and I have always had trouble with my tummy. Forgot to mention, my rheumy also prescribed Reglan for when I am really nauseas too and it comes and goes in waves. I haven't had to take it too much lately. Last year I had to take it a lot. Lately, just every now and then. It works really well though.

Good luck ladies!! On this note, I think I am going to have a glass of wine tonight! Smile

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum