Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What can you tell me about Prednisone?

+2
Melody297
AbsolutelyFab
6 posters

Go down

What can you tell me about Prednisone? Empty What can you tell me about Prednisone?

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:42 am

After I pick up my RX tomorrow, I will be on a "burst" of Prednisone: 40mg for 2 days, 30mg for 2 days,. 20mg for 2 days and then 10mg for 2 days. Then I will be done. I have had a rough couple of days this week with pain and fatigue, although not as bad as my first flare.

Any advice on when to take it? How to avoid any side effects?

Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

What can you tell me about Prednisone? Empty Re: What can you tell me about Prednisone?

Post by Melody297 Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Good Morning Beth,
My rhemy put me on a burst several months ago. I took them in the morning with orange juice, so the orange juice covers up the bitter taste. You may even want to eat something with it, some folks it gives an upset stomach. Hopefully this will make you feel better. I woke up the next morning after taking my mega dose with more energy than i had in years.
Hope you feel better soon
Melody Very Happy

Melody297

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

What can you tell me about Prednisone? Empty Re: What can you tell me about Prednisone?

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Wow, Melody...you are right about the nasty, bitter taste! YUCH! Shocked

So it sounds like your Prednisone worked right away, right? I am wondering what is going on with me as I took my first dose yesterday and last night my joint pain was the worst it had been in a long time. It was way off the charts. I am a little better today, but still have a lot of joint pain. I am wondering if I was a little late on starting the Prednisone and this flare is getting away from me.

Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Hey Beth,
May work different for some folks. I had been on methotrexate for a couple of weeks before i started the predisone. My rhemy staggered my tappering off very slow too. Took me weeks to get down to 10 mg.. It just may take a while to get in your system.
Hope you feel better
Mel

Melody297

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 am

Hi Beth,

Prednisone usually works fairly quickly, as to it's effectiveness it depends on the person, some people go crazy Shocked and some people don't feel any of the side effects at all! How are you feeling with it? I hope your pain has settled down!

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-04

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:26 pm

I am at the end of my Prednisone "burst" and it does appear to have helped with the pain. Now that I am done with this dose, it will be "wait and see" as far as what happens next.

Because of the cold & rainy weather moving in, I have much more stiffness in my knees, hips and shoulders. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Hugs!
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Hello Beth
Glad to hear you are some what better after the pred burst.

As for the weather and the stiffness, the same thing is going on in my neck of the woods too Sad the only thing i find that helps me is to try and stay warm and not go out unless i have to, but thats not always easy to do.

Anyway wish you the best

and heres some flower from the yardman

Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:25 am

Hi Beth and Ray,

Beth, I can only reiterate what Ray says, the best thing to do is stay warm and rugged up! So get out the longjohns my dear lol! Seriously, I wear thermal leggings and long sleeve t-shirts through winter, I find they are a life saver!

Ray, where have you been, we've missed you, glad to hear from you again cheers

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-04

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:06 am

Beth,

Sorry to hear the prednisone burst has not helped take away the pain Sad . The weather can be our worst enemy, as Ray and Maz said try and stay warm as possible and take it easy. I wish you the best and hope you beat this soon.

Take care.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody297 Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 am

I agree with Maz, thermal undies are a lifesaver !!! A candle light soak in a warm tub also makes me feel better too.

Melody

Melody297

Back to top Go down

Post by christines555 Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:23 am

Hi All,

Beth glad to hear you are feeling a bit better after the prednisone burst. It does seem to help with the pain. If the pain starts to return from a flare maybe your doctor can keep you on a low dose of pred for a little while longer or give you something for intermittent pain. If it is the weather, I don't think there is too much we can do. I agree just get comfy and cozy in your pj's or under a blanket. I hope you feel better soon.
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:29 pm

So it has been about 9 days since my last 10mg dose of Prednisone. The joint pain is coming back. I have raw spots on the top of my mouth and side of my tongue and my shortness of breath is back....again. And, I'm tired, as usual. Does this mean I'm headed for a flare or just that the Prednisone actually helped?

It probably didn't help that I stayed up late last night watching the election results. Wink

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down