Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Asthma

4 posters

Go down

Possible Asthma Empty Possible Asthma

Post by AbsolutelyFab Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 am

I have had a persistent dry cough and shortness of breath for at least as long as I have had my Lupus/RA symptoms. I don't get any of the sharp pains like those described for Pleurisy. Today I had a chest x-ray and an asthma test was also scheduled by my GP, especially after I told him that the Prednisone burst my rheumy had prescribed took care of the cough and shortness of breath.

Does anyone else have asthma and was it something that appeared at the same time as your Lupus symptoms. Just wondering if it is connected as they both have to do with inflammation. Or, it might possibly just be a coincidence.

Hugs,
Beth What a Face
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Possible Asthma Empty Re: Possible Asthma

Post by christines555 Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:23 am

Hi Beth,

I don't have those symptoms but I was reading another site (The Lupies) and there were a couple people there with the same symptoms - persistent dry cough and shortness of breath. They also mentioned how their asthma affects them this time of year. Even if it is not connected to lupus, it seems like one of those things that may be triggered by lupus. Hope this helps and that you feel better soon. rendeer
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:12 pm

I was diagnosed with asthma this morning. I was assured it was not due to my pets and parrots, which is good because I could never part with them. My husband loves his dog and I would end up moving out! Razz

I am wondering how much asthma is related to autoimmune issues as it is an inflammatory reaction and it began at about the same time.

Hugs!
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Hello Beth

Hope you get to feeling better, i can relate to the pets we have a spoiled rotten cat Very Happy

I do not have asthma per say,but do have copd. Which is alot caused by my smokeing history Sad but i also have related systems that are similer to asthma. When my dr ran test he said that with the lupus it made the vessels in my lungs contract with the inflammation. So now i use a med called Spiriva HandiHaler once every morn and it helps me alot. Sometimes if its real bad he has me do a pred burst.
I know that we are all diff and hope you do find some relif
And thats my 2cents and i'm sticking to it Very Happy

flower from the yardman

Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks, Ray! Your input is always appreciated. Laughing

I just received a call from my GP that the chest x-rays are clear, so that is good.

My husband & I both quit smoking over 2 years ago (a promise we made to my sons as they are into school athletics), but I had worked as a welder for 7 years and was concerned about how my lungs fared through all that dust and smoke.

Does the Spiriva cause the hyperactivity that the Albuterol does?

Hugs!
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:47 am

Beth

No thats what i like about the spiriva, but we all know that we sometimes react diff to med. And as always there is a big list of side effects but thankfully i have had none.
I to used to work in shops with alot of smoke and chem Sad but hey it was a living and a good one at that.

But on the meds always ck with your dr, and i know you know to do that. Smile

flower take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:10 am

Hi Beth,

Sorry to hear of your breathing issues, but hopefully now you have an answer to your shortness of breath and cough you get the the proper meds to care for it. I have not been diagnosied with asthma, but I have suffered from shortness of breath for many years. I don't smoke, never had, but I grew up in a house where I didn't need to light up, I could just inhale from all the second hand smoke around, it has always worried me that I might have effects from the second hand smoke. My mother and all of my siblings smoked, so I am serious when I say the house was always filled with smoke.

I have a cough now and then, but it is not persistant, it does get worse of course the harder it gets for me to breath. I don't know if it has anything to do with the lupus or not. If your doctors share anything with you in reference to that I would be interested to know. At age 41 I tell my husband I am way too young to be this out of breath, I literally get winded walking up a flight of stairs.

What brings your symptoms on? Is it activity, weather or just life in general? Just curious.

Hope they get you some meds that will bring you some relief soon. Keep us posted.

Merry Christmas,

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:32 pm

I was having troubles falling asleep at night...tossing and turning constantly...and it had nothing to do with the joint pain. I was coughing and my chest was tight at night...right across my upper chest/breastbone. I actually needed to think about my breathing. I also got short of breath easily if I was reading out loud, talking on the phone, going up steps and now that it has been -10 below zero in our area...the cold air makes breathing more difficult, as well.

My chest x-rays are clean so there wasn't any of the Lupus related breathing issues appearing, and nothing related to my previous smoking or welding.

Hope the additional info helps!

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content