Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DES & Autoimmune Diseases

2 posters

Go down

How many of your mother's took DES while they were pregnant with You?

DES & Autoimmune Diseases Vote_lcap17%DES & Autoimmune Diseases Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
DES & Autoimmune Diseases Vote_lcap50%DES & Autoimmune Diseases Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 3 ]
DES & Autoimmune Diseases Vote_lcap33%DES & Autoimmune Diseases Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

DES & Autoimmune Diseases Empty DES & Autoimmune Diseases

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello Everyone! Welcome Geoff and Orange!!

I was just reminded by my mother that she had taken DES while pregnant with my sister Angie and I. Both of us have autoimmune or connective tissue disease. My younger sister does not have health issues but my mother did not take DES while pregnant with her. I was doing some research on the website:http://www.cdc.gov/DES, and found this:

"What is known about DES and autoimmune diseases?
Although laboratory animal studies of mice exposed to DES before birth (in the womb) suggested an increased risk of autoimmune disease in female mice, studies among humans have reported mixed results. One study indicated that autoimmune diseases occurred more often in women exposed to DES before birth (in the womb), known as DES Daughters, than in the general population. However, no one autoimmune disease (such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus) occurred more often than others (Noller, 1988). Researchers will continue to explore this issue."

Is there anyone else on the boards that knows they were a DES baby?

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

DES & Autoimmune Diseases Empty Re: DES & Autoimmune Diseases

Post by maidmaz Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi Beth,

Sorry I don't know if I was or not!! I will ask Mum but she most likely would not remember. It is interesting though considering my sister has Crohn's disease and Fibro, my brother has Diabetes and I have Lupus. On the other hand there is a lot of Autoimmune diseases on my Dad's side of the family, they include Diabetes, RA, Crohn's disease, Coeliac's disease and more recently Lupus (me), so it's hard to say where it came from but my guess is the genetics route!

This hasn't been much help to you sorry! I hope someone can help with your question.

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-04

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:28 pm

I asked my rheumy about DES, as well as about heavy metal toxicity (I worked as a welder for 7 years) and how it might be related to autoimmune issues. She said you have to have the genetic predisposition for autoimmune diseases to begin with, but these types of things may trigger it. We already know my surgery of 1 year ago was my trigger, so I really didn't learn anything new.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down