Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible GI Bleed

4 posters

Go down

Possible GI Bleed Empty Possible GI Bleed

Post by Rileysmom Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Well, just when I thought things were on the road to recovery and my lupus was doing well, my health decided to throw me a curve ball! I am seeing great improvements with the combination of meds I am on and the Imuran is doing wonders! The problem is my GI tract is not liking the combination too well. A couple of weeks ago I told my husband I think I may have another GI bleed. I have had several bleeds, surgeries with bowel/intestine resections, blood transfusions the whole shubang, so unfortunately I can tell. I didn't think too much of it, figured I would definitely know in a couple of days if things got any worse. Well, a week ago I noticed quite abit of blood, so I called my doctors office, they ran some blood work, sent me home with a stool kit and that was that. The blood work suprisingly came back not too bad, I am anemic, but barely, nothing to worry too much about. Unfortunately, things have not moved (if you know what I mean) so I have yet to be able to turn in the stool test to check for blood ! Mind you it has been over a week now.

So, I am really getting a bit worried that something more serious is going on. Perhaps I have a blockage or something. Sigh! My GP called to get me into my GI doc, because they are booking into March at this time, so it was impossible for me to do it. They called today and advised they could see me this Thursday. I just don't know, I am so down in the dumps at this point, I don't know what to do, scream or cry. You see, I have dealt with GI issues my entire life, every since a very young child I would complain about stomachs and such. My dad has Chrohns, which they have supposedly ruled out for me, but one has to wonder if they are right, give the accuracy of the medical profession as we know it.

To top it off, my GI doc normally blames my GI issues on the meds I take, so he's going to want to get with my rheumy and start jacking with my meds that have been doing so good up to this point! See my frustration? Dang.

Happy Holidays? Perhaps.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Possible GI Bleed Empty Re: Possible GI Bleed

Post by yardman417 Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:36 am

Melissa

Wish i could give you some good advise, but this one is something i have not had to deal with.
I know that you have been doing better, and you will get over this road block too, like i've said before your a fighter just like the rest of us.
Also glad you had a good Birthday

flower hang in there because there will be better days

Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by christines555 Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 am

Hi Melissa,

I am so sorry that you are having this problem. You no sooner start to feel better and wham. Hopefully it won't be a blockage or anything like that and they will be able to treat you without any surgery. I will say a prayer that all will be okay. Let us know how you make out after your appointment on Thursday. Will be thinking of you,
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Melissa:

Just wanted to wish you well, today. I hope they can help you without any major upsets to your system.

My prayers are with you! I love you
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:58 am

Just wanted to give you all a quick update. I went to see my GI doc today. It all went well I guess. He reviewed my blood work and such and we talked. We decided not to do anything at this point because while I am anemic it is not severe, if I had a major bleed it would be really bad. He talked about adding some new meds but then backed off of that too because my rhuemy is trying so hard to get my lupus under control, he felt adding anything to the mix would upset that.

He feels what ever is going on is attributed to inflammation caused by the lupus and is reconsidering the fact that I may have chrohns. He said if I do the meds I am taking now are what he would use to treat the chrohns so we are covered there.

At this point, we agreed to sit back and wait to see if anything further happens, if I have a major bleed I will definitely know, been there done that. I'm used to the GI issues, pain and such, unfortunately it will just have to continue.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by christines555 Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 am

Hi Melissa,

I'm glad it was something that didn't have to be done on an emergency basis. And if it is Chrohn's at least you are already taking the meds for it. It must be frustrating though to deal with GI issues all your life. Just curious - has there been any "movement"? A week is an awful long time and must cause alot of discomfort.
christines555
christines555

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:59 am

Hi Chris,

Actually, yes, yesterday. I was able to take the stool test down to the doctor's office. Unfortunately though they didn't have the results back by the time I went to the doctor today.

Living with GI issues are no fun, but just like lupus, it's part hand God dealt me. I've learned to live with it.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by christines555 Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:38 am

Melissa I really hope everything works out well for you. I'm just glad things are moving along again and there was no blockage. I'll pray that you get good results from the test! Very Happy
christines555
christines555

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:29 am

Melissa

I am praying for the best for you, if your like me its sometimes kind of hard to sit back and do the wait and see thingee. But if you trust your dr as i do mine, i try and take his or hers advice.

flower wishing you the best

RAY
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: