Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cortisone Injections

3 posters

Go down

Cortisone Injections Empty Cortisone Injections

Post by AbsolutelyFab Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:59 am

I have Osteo-arthritis in my left wrist, thumb and in my left knee. The pain in my left thumb can get pretty bad. About 4 months ago I had a cortisone injection in my left wrist, which...after the initial soreness....helped considerably. Now the pain is back and I'm wondering about the long-term effects of cortisone injections. My rheumy also offered to give them to me in both thighs/hips to help with the bursitis, but that doesn't bother me that much...yet! Wink

What experiences have the rest of you had with cortisone injections? Also, is it true that only the inflammation due to RA will cause the disfigurement and disablity in joints and the inflammation from Lupus will not? It has not been determined if I have one or both yet.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Cortisone Injections Empty Re: Cortisone Injections

Post by Rileysmom Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Beth,

I too get steriod type injections to assist with pain, I believe what I am given is called Kenolog, I know my doctors have alway told me they can only give me a certain number of injections per year due to the side affects. Mayo Clinic has some great information on cortisone injections, it provides informaiton on the risks and such. Here is the link along with the information that came up when I did the search. You might inquire what other alternatives your doctor can provide. I know Kenolog is a sythetic to cortisone, I don't believe it has quite the damaging side effects.

Limits on the number of cortisone shots
There's some concern that repeated use of cortisone shots may cause deterioration of the cartilage within a joint. For this reason, doctors typically limit the number of cortisone shots in a joint. The limit varies depending on the joint and the reason for treatment. In general, people with osteoarthritis or other noninflammatory conditions may be limited to four cortisone shots per joint. People with rheumatoid arthritis may be limited to one cortisone shot per joint per month.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:54 am

Hi Beth,

I am no expert...except for myself!!!But over the years I have had many cort. injections and no bad effects from them...I had many in my back yrs. ago for my sciatic and it helped a lot...as said, you can only get them so many times.....as in every 4 mths. etc....but I also had them in my shoulders and my hips...and it is true about RA causing deformity and not lupus....I don't know if any of this has helped you...but I hope it has if even only a bit!!!!Take care...hugs, B affraid

californiacat

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down