Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exercise and Lupus

+5
Jenny
maidmaz
yardman417
AbsolutelyFab
socalmonica
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exercise and Lupus Empty Exercise and Lupus

Post by socalmonica Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Hello everyone.... I wanted to ask your advice. I know exercise is very important to our disease but when I am am feeling lousy, I'm sure you can all relate, the last thing I want to do is exercise. When I went through my bad flare this last year, I felt terrible so I of course never exercised. My accupuncturist called me a noodle. Not something I want to be called. so when I started feeling better, I have had every intention of starting to exercise again. I am nervous of overdoing it and feeling lousy though. Maybe I'm copping out and don't want to exercise. tongue But also, this week I have been feeling lousy again, I can feel the inflammation and just have been down for the count. My daughter wants me to walk with her. Do I push myself and walk? Or will that make me feel worse? What's your take?

Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Exercise and Lupus Empty Re: Exercise and Lupus

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:54 am

Monica,
I can relate. I keep thinking I should get back to our 24 hour fitness club and get on a treadmill...but it's soooo hard getting to that point. My husband is always trying to get me to walk with him (when the weather isn't freezing cold) and I know that even just a few block walk in the evening helps me. There have been times when I had to use a cane when my knees were really bad, but most of the time I don't. Just make sure you protect yourself from the sun! sunny
I would really like to start water aerobics again...low impact and great for achy joints, but the chlorine used in most pools and hot tubs makes me sick, so I'm still trying to find something that will work. Good luck!
Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Monica

I can relate to the exercise stuff also Sad , but i am getting
set up to start phsy therpy plus this new thing of hydro therpy the 10th of this mth. My rheumy even gave me a RX for it so my ins is paying for it Very Happy I have gotten to the point i needed to do something more active because of the winter mths i don't do much of any thing. And some times i just don't want to get off my butt Laughing

But what ever you decided listen to your body, it will let you know, if it likes it or not.

Like that saying GIT R DONE Smile but take it slow and easy!

Wishing you the best and take care

Beth i hope your feeling better also

flower Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:10 am

Hi Monica, Beth and Ray,
I too can sympathise with you all, there is nothing worse than knowing you should exercise and haven't got the get up and go to do so Sad .

A short walk is always a good way to start, I also count a shopping trip as excercise because I figure walking up and down the aisles of the Supermarket counts as a walk around the block Embarassed , another way to excercise is to park as far away from your intended destination as is practical and walk the extra distance. Just remember not to overdo it because you will most likely suffer with Delayed Onset Muscle Strain (DOMS) which can be very painful Crying or Very sad

I hope I have been of some help.

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:07 am

Hi evryone...

Maz....I have note heard of DOMS before but gee, I know it well!!!!

I have recently bought myself a gym ball. Not used one before but I am finding it to be EXCELLENT. I can do stretches I couldn't before because my bod (such that it is lol! ) is SUPPORTED!!! AND I can do SIT UPS!!!! affraid I have LOTS of trouble with them but not anymore and I am moving the whole time I am at the computer because I sit on the Gym Ball and not a chair.

Hope this helps. I do get out occasionally and go for a walk but not regularly enough to call it 'proper' exercise.

Hope this helps.....
flower
Jenny
Jenny

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:25 am

Hi Jenny,

I had never heard of DOMS before either, but knew what it was as soon as I was made aware of it on another SLE forum. I use to think I was incredibly unfit when I would wake up a day after doing a bit of gardening or vaccuming with incredibly sore muscles, I was glad to hear that it is quite common among SLE sufferers affraid .

I like the idea of the exercise ball and just might invest in one!

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:30 am

Maz,
The ball is great. You can do as little or as much as you feel like doing. it is probably best to buy one from a sports store rather than the $2:00 shops as I call them....

Waking up feeling as though you have been just hit by a Mack truck is NO good!! (Not that I really know what being hit by a Mack truck REALLY feels like!!!) I hate it.....

Must go and take little K9 out for a run..... He has been locked in Harry Potters Cupboard a bit too long!!!

Catch you later......
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:57 pm

I am sure I will learn about DOMS soon enough...I purchased golf clubs about 1 1/2 years ago and started to go to the golf driving range. I was ready to start golf lessons when I had my first flare 1 year ago (March 6, 2008 to be exact). Needless to say the golf lessons were put on hold.

I have now registered to take my beginner's lessons beginning mid-April. cheers I will take 5 weeks of beginner's lessons and then 5 weeks of intermediate lessons. I was able to find a class provided by the local parks department that goes from 7:00 to 8:00pm so I will not have to contend with direct sun. The only thing I will need to deal with are the pterydactyl sized mosquitoes!! lol! I have decided to take it slow, but will do my best to go to each class no matter how achy I may be.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 am

Hello everyone Very Happy

I started physical/Hydro therapy in a pool about four weeks ago and it is great. I am set up for twice a week and i can tell it has aready starting to help me over all.

flower Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:38 am

Yea, Ray!! cheers

What exactly does "hydro" therapy involved? Are you placed in a pool or tub for this? I used to run long distance track events way back when I was in high school, and the locker room had a great huge metal tub with jets in it. Worked great for sore muscles, that's for sure!!

Hope you continue to feel better!

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:19 am

BETH
the Hydro pool is a small swiming pool that is temp and water flow controlled. You can swim in it but your not going anywhere the flow of the water keeps you in one spot. And you do all kinds of movement agains the water flow, it even has a treadmill in it and it does help with the joint pain.
the water temp is set at 92* which is nice also
Whats also great is my Dr gave me a Rx for it so my insurance pays for it, but i think i would do it even if they didn't.

I would highly recomend it
Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 am

Hey Ray,

Where do you go for your "hydro" therapy? I have an exercise room in my home, literally a huge room that is filled with every piece of professional equipment a person would want, a tanning bed, a wall with mirrors, the whole wonderful world of fitness that I was once highly involved in prior to lupus and when I was in "remission." I do try to get back there and get on the treadmill now and then, but it really depresses me more than anything to go back there and see all the stuff back there and see all the stuff I can no longer can do! Does that make sense?

Anyway, perhaps "hydro" therapy is something I could do. I have seen one of those small pools on tv that is like a stream of water coming at you and swim into it and essentially don't go anywhere. I have thought about purchasing one to put in my backyard, but now that I am not working the funds are not what they once were, you know what I mean? I used to be able to purchase pretty much what I wanted too, because I had a great job, great income and my money was my money, I am going to have to learn to live on a whole lot less. I can do it, it's not a big deal, I mean, heck I don't go anywhere anymore to spend money so it shouldn't be a problem right?

Anyway, any details you can share Ray is greatly appreciated. As I have the same problem as everyone here. I hate to exerecise lately. I've gotten way to used to sitting around on the couch and watching tv, now I just need some bon-bons to go with it!

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Melissa

I go to a therapy / wellness center here in town. Its a new place and i like it a lot, before i didn't have to many choices where to go for things like that.

i havent checked to see if there is a web site for the type pool it is but i am sure there is one.
the name of the style pool is
SWIMEX AQUA THERAPY POOL

I just got back from therapy and i LOVE IT Very Happy

Hope this helps out some and PS i want some bon-bons too Laughing

Take care
flower Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Monica:

Yes, exercising is not my cup of tea, either. However, I have been exercising for a few weeks now because I have, finally, started feeling better (not in pain). I would be careful if you are in pain - not to push it. Your body is inflammed and you may only make it worse pushing yourself.

I do exercises in my hot tub and have been lifting weights, 5 lb, for strength. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are not putting stress on your joints - do something like walking or gentle stretches to start out with. If you start hurting - cut back a little to let your muscles heal.

Good Luck! Very Happy
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm

I may be getting some Hydro therapy whether I like it or not. This is from the AP article of 3/19:

The Red River of the North along the Minnesota-North Dakota border faces the nation's greatest threat of spring flooding, the federal Climate Prediction Center said in its spring weather outlook.

Our home is 26 miles from the Red River, but I work in downtown, Fargo, ND. The Red River is only a few blocks away, so I may be swimming to and from work! lol!

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:43 pm

AHH! Beth, keep dry girl and I hope your area doesn't flood!

Poppy, glad you are exercising and not in pain right now. I still haven't been exercising and know I need to be. The hot tub is a good idea. I don't have one at the moment.

I have been looking into the water aerobics. RIght now none of the classes in the area work for my kids school schedules but next fall they will so maybe I can do it then.

I do have a ball and if I get my butt in gear, just maybe I'll use it. Smile

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Ray and all the girls,

I know it's difficult, but exercise is important and there are ways of finding something right for you - basically Monica, your body will tell you when it's had enough.

Water therapy is excellent and you don't have to over-do it. Pressure is taken off various joints and even if you manage a few laps in a pool, it's better than nothing.

With this bloody disease, I understand everyone suffers differently. Some may prefer a walk around the block or two miles on a bicycle. I live in a climate where I can enjoy the surf early of a morning on my days off work (no I haven't been back on the bike after hitting the asphalt, a hand operation and all those miles).

(is it a coincidence that the two 'boys' here have both taken to the water??? - we'll keep you updated with our results!!!)

But seriously, a little bit of exercise is better than doing nothing at all. And even that tiny bit of exercise you can manage will be rewarding - you'll feel like you're actually out there doing something - rather than watching the endless crap on TV.

Even a five minute walk with a loved one, be it a husband or one of your kids, is a start - and it's also a great way to communicate!

Sorry... but it's just my '2 cents' as you say.

As always,
Geoff.
geoff
geoff

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-02-15

http://thewideworldoflupus.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Hey Monica

Come back home and we all can float from LITTLE SUGAR to Noel and get some exercise Very Happy , but it would have to be on a cloudy day.

Hope this will give you a smile from back home, Smile and don't beat yourself up over the exercise stuff, you will find something that will work and like also.

As Geoff said about us boys Smile and the water, i love it wish i had started it long time ago.

And for anyone else who does not understand what we live with nor has walked in our shoes, saying anything about our (weight, exercise program,or anything else for that mater) I just let it go in one ear and out the other!!

And like Chris said in a post least we can exercise our fingers posting Laughing

Take care
flower Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks Geoff and I know you are right!! You are inspiring.

Ray, do you mean down the Elk River? LOL!!! Been down that river a time or two. That is a lot of fun. I sure miss that area.

Monica

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 am

Hello !!
Just a quick post....
I cannot recommend moving furniture as a good type of exercise.....

I was as sore as this morning. Cannot wait for Don to blow up my Gym Ball....Badly need the streching.....

Catch you all later....

Jenny.
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:53 pm

Monica

Yes the beautifull ELK River, but take my word for it IT get like a freeway now when it is the floatin season.

PS. Jenny what the hell you doin movein furniture, you are the one to tell people were to move it Laughing hope you get to feelin better

Take care
flower Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Ray.....

Bit slow on the reply, sorry.... I moved house.....three hours down the road. We hired a truck and did it ourselves. Don did the greater part of it but I did my 45% worth....Don went cross if he thought I was doing too much!!!

Anyway, I now have my gym ball to stretch on and am feeling better (I think..... I washed my CRV this arv so am sore from that!!!) Maybe a few glasses of wine might do the 'anaesthetising' drunken drunken Should have some 'pre-polishing the car' wines so I won't feel the aches tomorrow drunken drunken Laughing Laughing
Jenny
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Exercise and Lupus Empty exercise!

Post by keena Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 am

hey guys,

i was doing aqua aerobics about three days a week (couldn't this month cause i cant afford it!!) for a few months. there are about 4 or 5 classes on at my gym, but i couldn't get to them all cause of classes and timing, not feeling well etc. my rheumy told me that by now i should be doing more than that..plus land aerobic classes! when i was doing it i was exhausted, and going to 3 classes a week would tire out my body! he made me feel like i was just being lazy or something. i can hopefully go back next month, but what do you guys think of doing 3 classes a week? i was really proud of myself and thought i was doing excellent lol! how does this compare to the amounts of exercise you guys do/ should i be doing more?

i also have a fitball, i use it as a computer chair,have thought about exercising on it but i dont know what to do withit!! any good exercises/ websites for a novice?

thanks,
Karina Exercise and Lupus Icon_biggrin

keena

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi Karina:

I think doing 3 classes a week is great! It's better than not doing anything and better than pushing yourself to the point that you will hurt yourself.

I try to exercise at least 5-6 days a week, now. I swim in the summer and do water exercises. I, also, use a ball - you can do sit-ups on it and push-ups, too. The sit-ups are easier than doing them on the floor. Smile In the winter, I try to walk a mile a day. I lift some weights but I have to admit that I can get a little lax on that because it does seem to bother my arms. Sad

Anyway, moving is good and any kind of moving is really good! I feel so much better now than when I wasn't doing any exercise. It gives us strength and keeps our joints from stiffening up.

With exercise and lupus - you need to build up slowly and when you are in pain - STOP!

I think you are heading in the right direction and I hope you find something you enjoy doing and that helps you. It helps if you can find a friend to work out with you - I have a friend who walks and swims with me and it gives me more motivation.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. Exercise and Lupus Icon_smile

Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Karina,

I think what you are doing is great. I am totally bad at exercising. I really need to get my butt out and move it. I get told that every time I go to the doctor. Hard to get motivated. I know once I get into the groove of it, it gets easier, but I am just one of those people that really hates exercise. So, need to get out and walk. I hear what Poppy is saying how it is so good for our lupus and I know it is so I need to listen to these words of wisdom! LOL!!!! They are good words to listen to. But I think when you are exercising just do what you feel your body can handle. If you feel really lousy the next day, then maybe you overdid it on exercise and cut it back a little the next time. I also think some days you can handle more than others days. If you get more tired, then just listen to your body and take it easy. The ball is great. I have one of those too. Just haven't used it in a while. HA HA! You can use it for leg exercises if you use it up against a wall. Lean it between you and the wall, ball against the wall, back against the ball, and do squats. Really good for the legs. the ball just rolls down the wall. And as Poppy said, use it for stomach exercises, you can sit on it and do sit ups. you can do side sit ups too for different muscles. I'm sure if you go online you can find some other execises. There are tons. Mine came with some in the box.

socalmonica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next