Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flare or Weather?

+2
yardman417
AbsolutelyFab
6 posters

Go down

Flare or Weather? Empty Flare or Weather?

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 pm

I just got over a fairly mild cold/cough last week. Everyday this week, my joint pain has gotten worse. I now have hip pain and even pain in my collarbone/sternum. Usually my pain remains in my feet, knees and hands. The weather has gotten cooler and rainy over the last few days, as well. My Raynaud's has also worsened. How can I tell if I'm heading into a flare or if everything is being triggered by weather, etc.? When you go into a flare is it usually instantaneous or gradual?

Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Flare or Weather? Empty Re: Flare or Weather?

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Oh, yea....I should also add that I am really crabby and short with my family....this is unusual for me as I'm usually pretty easy going. Not sure if this is due to joint pain or something else.

Beth Mad
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:48 am

Hello Beth

For me the weather changes always effect me, as far as saying its the starting of a flare i can't say,i just know i hurt!!
And for being crabby and short with family and friends,any time my pain gets above a 3 or 4 on the charts watch out, i try not to but its hard not to. Hope things get better for you.

flower from the yardman
Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:21 am

Hi Beth,

Sorry you have been feeling "under the weather" so to speak!!!!I am into puns but I don't mean to make fun of your not feeling well!!lol! I think as to whether or not you are going into a flare is really hard to answer, as it differs for all of us.And the same goes for your question about it being gradual or all at once...I know it is frustrating that usually with lupus there are no easy answers!!I sometimes do get affected by the weather and it may be that you are just "off" from being sick and or the weather changes.I tend to feel achy after a cold and it usually goes away with time.I suggest you take it easy and be really good to yourself until you feel a bit stronger.Also my Raynauds does get worse in colder weather.One thing that my rheumy told me that it's essential to keep the "core" of your body warm, not just the area affected by the Raynauds(hands,feet,etc.).So in otherwords, dress warm and keep your entire body warm when your Raynauds is flaring.As far as the crabby part, I think that it is only natural to be more irritable when you're not feeling well.Luckily I live alone so no one gets affected by my crabbiness!!! lol! I hope maybe this helped you some....even a little....and that you will soon be feeling better! I love you Take care my friend and keep us posted. Warmly, Barbara cheers

P.S......I too think it's time to call your doctor and btw, my flare ups never show up in my blood work, but we are all different.

Last edited by californiacat on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total

californiacat

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:28 am

Hi Beth,

I have a mild cold/cough this week and today we are having a "tropical storm". I'm a little nervous, first about having a cold and second the stormy weather, which is expected to last for a couple days, and if all this is going to trigger a flare too. So far I've had minor aches and pains but, same as you, don't know if it is the cold or the weather. I guess we'll never know. When I was in a flare in the spring, it started gradual and in about a week or less was in all my joints, etc. Have you spoken to your doctor since the pain is increasing, maybe he/she will increase your meds? Hope you feel better real soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:24 am

Hi Beth, I agree with Chris, I would call your doc. My doc says that it is common to flare in weather changes. He may just increase your meds or tell you to take it easy, who knows, but if increasing your meds keeps you from going further into a flare, it's worth a phone call or doc visit. Take it easy!! Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:38 am

Hi Beth,

I'm sorry your symptoms aren't easing up! Both times I have had a flare my bloods have reflected it ie; inflammation levels go through the roof! My typical signs were aches and pains waking me through the night, fatigue and yes I hate to admit it but grumpiness Mad , I was also very emotional Sad and would cry at the drop of a hat!

So my dear friend I would suggest it is time you reported to your Pcp or Rheumy and have some bloods done because I think that is the only real way they can tell whether we are flaring or not confused In the meantime try to take it easy!

Please keep us posted!

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:27 pm

I went to my GP this morning, at the request of my Rheumy. Now that the GP has ruled out an underlying infection, I am waiting to get set up with an appt to see my Rheumy sooner than the original Nov. 17th appt. My GP ran CBC and Sed Rate. He left the other labwork up to the Rheumy, so we shall see......
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Beth,

Glad to hear you do not have an infection anywhere, but sad to hear you are still feeling poorly Sad . Anytime the weather or seasons change my lupus flares. At the beginning I too thought it was odd that I would get what I thought was a cold every season change, then I realized it was my lupus, because each time it seems the flare gets worse and worse.

The only advice I can giv you is to keep warm and get plenty of rest.

Hope you feel better soon!

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:15 am

My rheumy has prescribed what she calls a "burst" of Prednisone. I will take 40mg for 2 days, 30mg for 2 days, 20mg for 2 days and finally 10mg for 2 more days. Then, hopefully, I will be feeling better Smile

Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 am

Hi Beth,

I'm glad your Rheumy has given you the Pred to help get on top of your flare! Have you ever been on Pred before?
If not it is worthwhile remembering that it can interfere with sleeping and your moods, you may also find that you are warmer than usual and you sweat alot. Everyone is different but these are some of the things I find when on high doses of it!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Take Care
Love and Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:25 am

Hello Beth
Am hopeing for the best for you, and i think the dr knows what shes doing.

flower from the yardman
Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:26 am

Thanks, Maz! I'm glad to find that out as a few hours after I took my first dose I felt very warm and flushed....and just thought I was going crazy...again! lol!

Love and Hugs!
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down