Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulmonary Testing Done Today

5 posters

Go down

Pulmonary Testing Done Today Empty Pulmonary Testing Done Today

Post by Rileysmom Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 am

Hi Everyone, Well, I went for pulmonary testing today, sigh! It did not go well at all, I apparently failed every one. The tech was amazed, she said "you obviously have some sort of blockage in your airways or lungs" Umm, ya think? that's why I'm here, I wanted to say! Anyway, I told her I don't have much detail but have been told I have scarring on my right lung and have a constant feeling like I need to take a deep breath, like I'm not getting enough air in. Man, by the time I finished that testing I was beat, light headed, and totally spent! I had no idea what the tests would be that physcially draining. Anyway, just wanted to give you all a quick update. Now I will sit and wait for the official results from this test and the heart echo I had yesterday and see where my docs want to go from here.

Thanks for listening!

Melissa

Rileysmom

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Pulmonary Testing Done Today Empty Re: Pulmonary Testing Done Today

Post by christines555 Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:11 am

Hi Melissa,

Gee, I'm sorry to hear about your test results. Do you also have pain/discomfort with it? I was just curious. I had a spontaneous pneumothoraxic (collapsed lung) years ago. I was wondering if maybe you might have a slow leak (bad term) especially with your gasping for air. I'm sure you will have the results soon and will be able to begin treatment. Keeping you in my prayers,
christines555
christines555

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:31 am

Hi Chris,

I didn't really have pain pursay, I had burning of sorts I guess, especially after the tech had me take two puffs of an inhalier. I told her, the inhaler made my lungs burn really, really bad. Not sure what that means. The test did come out any better after I did the inhalier which I think is what they want to happen.

As always, thanks so much for your support, prayers and caring, I truly do appreciate it.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:13 am

Hi Melissa:

Hang in there! I know it's not easy. At least, finally, your on the right path to finding out what may be wrong. Then you can get treatment and start feeling better.

I'm hoping that whatever they find is not serious and can be treated quickly. You need some relief from all the problems you have endured.

Good luck to you and you will be in my prayers, too.

Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:48 am

Thank you Poppy,

I'm trying to stay positive, like you said at least they are on the right track now. The only thing that bothers me is I don't think there is any way to reverse scarring in the lungs, so I don't know how they will treat that.

I appreciate your support and prayers!

Melissa

Rileysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by yardman417 Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Mellissa

Just wanted you to know, i'm wishing you and your drs the best!

Take care
Ray
yardman417
yardman417

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Melissa,
I'm wishing the best for you. It is always some relief to be on track for a diagnosis, although it may not be what we were hoping to hear from the doc.

I was just curious as to when you first started having the breathing problems? I was just dx'd with asthma on Dec. 19, but my chest x-rays were clear. I was having the breathing troubles for quite a while before I even started having the more prominent symptoms that pointed to an autoimmune inflammatory disease.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:57 am

Hi Beth,

I've had shortness of breath for sometime now, probably 4 or 5 months now at least. My chest x-rays have shown spots, but the ct scan came up normal when I had it in August. The did the ct without dye so I'm wondering if that is why the scarring didn't show up.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues as well. Since being dx'd with asthma has the medicine, inhalers and such helped your breathing?

Melissa

Rileysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Melissa,

The inhalers have helped. I have been prescribed two different inhalers: Flovent HCA, which is the long-lasting, steroidal, anti-inflammatory medicine & the "emergency", fast acting inhaler (albuterol).

I have not noticed a big difference with the Flovent, but if it is like any other long-term med, it may just take a while. The albuterol works much better.

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by Rileysmom Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:43 am

Hi Beth,

I'm glad to hear the inhalers of help to you, that means it is most likely only asthma from what I understand. When I had my pulmonary testing they gave me 2 puffs of an inhaler halfway into the testing, then they redid some of the tests to see if I was able to perform any better with the meds. If there was a difference they would lean more towards asthma, unfortunately, there was no difference, that's why they are saying there is an obvious obstruction.

I totally understand what you are saying about the long term meds, sometimes it is definitely hard to tell if we are getting an benefit from them or not. Kinda like plaquenil. We seem to not know the benefit we have from them until we try to stop the med then realize, hmmm, I guess that was helping me after all.

Well, I am anxious for tomorrow to get here. My doctor has been on vacation and is suppose to be in the office tomorrow. I hope to get some answers from the testing I have been having done. I am beginning to get a little antsy. My breathing is not getting any better and my heart rate continues to get higher.

I'm gonna sign off for now. I'll let you all know as soon as I have some results back, seems like it's been forever already.

Take care.

Melissa

Rileysmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down