Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine Meds & Raynaud's

3 posters

Go down

Migraine Meds & Raynaud's Empty Migraine Meds & Raynaud''s

Post by AbsolutelyFab Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 pm

About 2 weeks ago, I visited with my rheumy. She noticed that I had been taking Imitrex (injectible) for my migraines for quite a while. It has helped me with the migraines incredibly, unfortunately she said that I should not be taking it due to my Raynaud's. She explained it could cause ulcers and gangrene in my extremities if the blood vessels don't open up correctly after the injection! SCARY!

So I called my GP and told him. He has now prescribed Midrin. I have read it isn't a very successful med for bad migraines, so I'm a bit concerned as I can get real doozies!

Is anyone else having the same issue with migraine meds and Raynaud's??

Hugs, Very Happy
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Migraine Meds & Raynaud's Empty Re: Migraine Meds & Raynaud's

Post by socalmonica Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 pm

I don't have Raynauds but I do get migraines. I am on Topomax. It is a daily pill you take at night. It helps prevent migraines. I actually haven't had one in a couple of months so it seems to be working right now for me. I'm not familiar with Midrin so can't really compare but I know several people that are on Topomax. a couple of side effects are sleepiness so taking at night is important and weight loss, in fact, my husband was prescribed this med as a appetite suppressant by his GP a couple of years ago. Kind of interesting. My biggest side effect is memory loss and lack of concentration. Some times I forgot words and I know it is this med. But I did that before too with the lupus. Anyway, you might want to ask your GP about it if you're not happy with your current med. Or at least check it out online.

Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Fri May 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Beth,

Sorry I can't help with the migraine meds as I'm not a sufferer thank goodness! But I was wondering whether your Rheumy has put you on anything for the Raynauds yet?

Take Care
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-04

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AbsolutelyFab Sat May 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi, MaZ!

No, she hasn't given me anything for the Raynaud's yet as it hasn't appeared to be very bad right now...not like when I was first diagnosed. She gave me the option if I want, but I feel like I'm so many meds right now I need to carry a larger handbag just for the medicine cabinet! LOL

Hugs,
Beth
AbsolutelyFab
AbsolutelyFab
Admin

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down