Living with Lupus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

muscle/joint pain

5 posters

Go down

muscle/joint pain Empty muscle/joint pain

Post by kking Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:09 am

Hi there,
Being fairly new to SLE, (dx sept 07) I wonder if my muscle pain is part of the Lupus. I occasionally get stiff/sore joints, but it seems my muscle aches are more frequent. I asked my dr. for help with the muscle and she gave me flexeril, which I use sometimes, before bed. But I have yet to ask for help with stiff/sore joints.
Right now, I believe I am in a minor flare. I have been getting some sun exposure. (part of the job is outside Yard Duty). but I'm diligent about the sunscreen. My knees, hips and knuckles are kinda sore. sooooo, does anyone else complain of muscle soreness??
what can I do about the joint stiffness?
anything will help =)

KK

Last edited by kking on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
kking
kking

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

muscle/joint pain Empty Re: muscle/joint pain

Post by maidmaz Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:00 am

Hi Karen,

Some of us do suffer muscle pain/fatigue, I know I did too when first dx'd. I went on to Prednisone and that helped alot, I don't seem to suffer from it anymore. Alot of sufferers take fish oil tablets and seem to find this helps. As for joint pain you will most likely always suffer it to a certain extent the severity of it will vary according to your disease activity, so if you are in a flare it will most likely be really bad to the point that you need constant pain killers, when not in a flare it is always there only it is bearable unless you have been "overdoing it", something we all tend to do. I also notice if I am stressed my pain level increases, one minute I can have none and the next it comes out of nowhere, I guess this is why they say stress is bad for us! Rolling Eyes Only thing is I haven't yet found away to completely eliminate stresses from my life and I'm yet to come across someone who has!!! confused

Hope this helps a little, also what meds are you on for the SLE? If you can let us know we may have a little more advice.

Take Care, Hugs
xxxMaz I love you
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-04

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi Karen:

I have muscle pain as well as joint pain. Like Maz says, when in a flare, it hurts much more and when you overdo it. I was put on prednisone and am tapering off - but that has helped tremendously. For my muscle pain, I, also, use heating pads and soak in hot water. Sometimes, I use a pain gel called bio freeze that goes on cold then turns hot.

Good luck to you - hope you start getting some relief soon! flower
Poppy
Poppy

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:09 am

Hi Karen,

Having muscle/joint pain is how I found out I have lupus. My neurologist was having me tested for RA and it came back positive for lupus. He immediately put me on 2400mg a day of Ibuprofan and referred me to a rheumatologist. The Ibuprofan did nothing for the pain. The pain, redness and swelling in all my joints and muscles continued to increased to the point where I couldn't walk, get up from a chair or hold anything in my hands. When I had my first visit with the rheumatologist in May, he put me on prednisone which helped relieve the pain within 24 hours. I was also taking vicodin. I didn't know what was happening to me but found out I was in the middle of a flare at the time. I'm not thrilled about taking prednisone but I am happy to have no current pain or swelling. Hope this helps some.

Back to top Go down

Post by kking Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:20 am

Thanks for all of your valuable input! I am so grateful for this forum.
No, the muscle/joint pain is not nice, but it is better when you know that what you are going through is kinda normal? and that you're not alone.
Currently, I am taking 200mg of plaquenil 2x/day, and a flexeril now & then. Today I snuck in one of hubby's vicodin. shhh. Rolling Eyes
I will try the fish oil, and I have a bottle of BioFreeze - works great, without a strong odor.
I am really working on the stress issue, talking to friends, being good to myself, etc... However, right now stress is HUGE as my oldest son is sitting in a Federal Jail, awaiting his sentencing for hacking. Crying or Very sad I need to write a letter on his behalf, and I don't even know where to start... its started but ... Its so hard. and there is nothing I can do, except breathe, pray, hope, divert my attention, talk with you guys.
Thanks more than you know!
Karen
kking
kking

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:18 am

OT - Karen

If it would help in some way, I would be happy to write a letter to whomever on behalf of your son. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Back to top Go down

Post by maidmaz Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:47 am

Hi Karen,

I too would be happy to help you word a letter on your son's behalf. If there is anything I can do to help Please just say.
Thinking of you
Take Care,Hugs
xxxMaz
maidmaz
maidmaz
Admin

Number of posts : 142

https://livingwithlupus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by californiacat Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:03 am

Hi Karen,

First off.....I'm w/ Maz and Christine, that I too would be happy to write a letter on your son's behalf as well so please let me know.As far as your muscle pain....has your doctor mentioned the possibility of you having fibromyalgia?I am not a doctor ofcourse, but I know for me, my muscle pain is from my fibromyalgia.I too take muscle relaxants and it does help some.I know how awful it is having constant or even Not constant pain can be!!!!
Stress is a part of life and like Maz said, who doesn't have it??!!!I do try my best to stay calm and take things as they come instead of worrying but it is so much easier said than done!! affraid I also meditate which does help relax me.I also use a lot of aromatherapy too.Anyways, just know Karen, that we are all here for you and we care and you are not alone.I do hope you get some relief soon and please keep us posted.Take care my friend.
Warmly, Barbara I love you

californiacat

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by kking Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:35 am

Thanks so much everyone for the kind offers of letters on behalf of Greg. You guys make me feel so touched. Honestly, I don't know what you could say. Part of me could write a 6 page letter for him, but I think in this case, a judge would prefer a paragraph,,, who knows! If I only knew what would work! I'll just do my best.
Thanks also for the suggestions, meditation is something I have done in the past, and its something I can do again. Luckily I have a beautiful creek behind my house, I think its time to take a nice walk back there, with meditation in mind.
I too have wondered if it is fibromylagia.... thats something I will talk to my rheumy about when I see her next in Oct/Nov.
Thanks All!!
and I'm sure I'll keep everyone posted on the boy I love you
kking
kking

Back to top Go down

Post by socalmonica Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:43 am

Hi Karen, After reading your post, I asked my doc yesterday about the muscle pain and fibro because I too suffer from major muscle pain with my lupus. He told me it was part of the lupus and that I personally did not have fibro, that in my case, it was my lupus. I am in a flare right now and have been for a couple of months and my muscles ache as much or more than my joints right now sometimes. Hope you were able to write your letter for your son and you are keeping your stress level down. Take Care girl!! Monica

socalmonica

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down